Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Becoming a big kid

So today Audrey is going with her fellow kindergarteners on a little excursion ... to take a tour of the local elementary school where she will attend first grade. She is REALLY excited about it, which makes me happy and sad all at once.

Happy, because don't we all want our children to embrace their next "step" of growth and independence? I am so glad that she enjoys school and is looking forward to going next year. She has done SO WELL on so many levels this year and I am very proud of her.

But sad, because ... yeah, I thought I was really excited about this (and maybe by the end of the summer I will be again)... but from now on, until she graduates from high school, like for the next 12 years, she will be spending a lot of her day at school. There will be homework. There will be school activities. There will be limited windows of time to go on vacation (haha, like we spend so much time vacationing!)

[Yes, I know all my homeschooling friends are saying to themselves that I could just homeschool her. And I will just say this: At this point, I really don't feel led to homeschool. For many, many reasons. It is great for some people, but at this point at least, it is not for me.]

So it's all bittersweet. But then again, isn't everything about raising children a little bittersweet?

Only 2 more weeks of school to go ... then summer's here!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

uh huh and uh huh. I'm right there with you, Amy. (sigh)

Eric said...

I know--Kate goes into 1st grade in the fall--at least they come home for lunch here. I tell myself it's just 2 1/2 hours more per day. But I know will miss her, and Will might feel bored. I hear you on the homeschooling--I think there can be so many benefits, but it's just not something I want to do right now. Maybe down the road... --Erin