Monday, May 11, 2009

Mommy's Day

... because calling yesterday "Mother's Day" just doesn't seem to fit our family right now. No one calls me "mother"! I'm just good ol' Mommy, and I'm going to hold onto that for as long as possible.

I had a nice day with my family. I got to sleep in until almost 9! I KNOW! UNHEARD OF! But the kids were out late the night before so they slept till probably 8:30 or so too. I had a nice breakfast of scrambled eggs and cinnamon toast, and off to church we went. Chad had declared the day before that I did not have to cook anything :) so he brought home Chinese food for lunch (I am loving Chinese these days ...) then in the afternoon Audrey and I had ice cream cones together while Carter napped. I even got to lay down and rest too! In the evening we went to have a picnic with friends and the kids played happily with their buddies till the sun went down and everyone was dirty and tired and content... and full of more ice cream cones. Gotta love summery days!

On Saturday afternoon we and my brother went over to my parents' house and had a little early Mother's Day celebration with my Mom. Chad helped my Dad with a little landscaping and then we all went out to eat at Applebee's. I have to say, not to wish time away ... but I can't wait for the day that the kids sit nicely in the restaurant and eat contentedly. :) In our present day scenario, Carter is squirmy and requires constant distraction, and Audrey gets overly excited and talks way too loudly ... but at least they aren't sullen teenagers who look like they'd rather be anywhere but with us! It just would be nice to talk like grown-ups and have an uninterruped conversation though :)

And here's what I would say to my Mom in that uninterrupted conversation:

"Mom, thanks for all you have ever done for me. Thanks for believing in me as a kid, a teen, a young adult, a wife, and a mom. Thanks for loving me despite my character flaws and selfishness (which I hope have improved somewhat since my childhood...) I now understand how much patience you had to have each day as you raised me, but I also understand how deeply you love me too, since I'm now walking the same path ..."

Love you Mom! And I am so thankful that God has given me with Audrey, Carter & a baby girl to raise. I am so blessed!

My babies ...


...and the reason I now drive this. :)


Happy belated Mother's Day to all my Mom friends out there!

No comments: