Saturday, March 12, 2011

Beauty & the Beast

No, this is not a blog post about me and Chad ... haha.

Today Audrey and I got to have some special time together - just the two of us.  We have been looking forward to it all week!  Although this morning, I have to admit - I was wondering if we were going to have a good time.  I was feeling tired and for whatever reason, Audrey woke up in a funky mood which seemed to linger throughout the day.  But after many prayers for patience whispered under my breath, we ended up having a fun afternoon.  ;)

 
Audrey with her Belle doll, which she wanted to bring along

So... we went to see a high school production of Beauty and the Beast.  I was so amazed at the fact that high schoolers pulled off such an amazing show - especially musically.  (I didn't know a single kid in the show but I was really proud of them!)  Afterwards we went out to dinner together.  After talking her out of yet another trip to McDonalds, we ended up at Friendly's.


It's  interesting.  These kind of excursions are not only enjoyable for me as a parent, but are also a bit enlightening.  For example, I don't know why - but I expected Audrey to be much more outwardly "excited" throughout the afternoon.  I guess because she had been talking about going to this play with me for weeks.  Then when we were there she was so reserved about it that I actually wondered if she even was enjoying it.  Durirng the intermission I was asking her what she thought about the show and she gave me very short answers.  I actually felt a little discouraged that we weren't "talking" much but just kind of hanging out together .  I had to tell myself to not have expectations but to just enjoy the time together and trust that it was worthwhile whether we "talked" or not.

But later on I had a little revelation - Audrey is in many ways a lot like her mama.  We both tend to hold a lot of our feelings and emotions inside. I think we both - in the midst of something - are so busy processing our thoughts and feelings internally  that it may not appear to those around us like we are having any feelings at all.  I don't know if that makes any sense to anyone but me .... but it was a little like looking in a mirror.  Anyhow, she may not have said much about the day in the moment.  But when I was tucking her in tonight, she wanted me to lay down for a few minutes with her.  I am glad I did!  She proceeded to talk about our day, and ask me who my favorite character was in the play, and we had a nice little discussion about the whole thing.  So I guess that she just needed some time to take it in and think about it before she was ready to talk.  ;) 


Anyway - that was my little light bulb moment for today.  Thank you, God, for entrusting my Audrey to me and please help me to love her well, especially in the moments when I don't always "understand" her.  

***  Just in case anyone local is interested in the show - it was at Delaware County Christian School in Newtown Square.  I know they are doing 3 more shows next weekend if you're interested!
 


2 comments:

nateandkatesmom said...

Sounds like fun! I'll have to keep that in mind for next weekend. Kaitlyn and I are gonna have some girl time, (possibly with Sherry and her daughter) next weekend because Nathan has a camping trip with Norm.

patricia said...

What a fun memory for the two of you to share!