Saturday, September 26, 2009

and to think she's only 6 ....

Yesterday I told Audrey that I would take her clothes shopping at the Limerick Outlets today.  I thought she would be really excited since I was always thrilled to go clothes shopping as a kid.   (hmm, some things never change ...) Anyway, she didn't say much, so when I said something to her about it again, she paused and said "Mommy ... I don't want to go shopping for clothes."  "Why not?" I asked.  "Well, I'm afraid you'll want me to buy clothes that I don't like."  I don't think I even had much of a clue about what clothes I "liked" at age 6, I just kind of wore what was in my drawer. 

So I assured her that we would only buy clothes that we could agree on (that is, clothes that she truly likes, and clothes that I think are appropriate for school and don't cost a fortune).

We came home with 3 pairs of what Audrey calls "comfy pants" (those cotton knit yoga-looking pants), one skirt, 3 tops, (all the clothes could be mixed and matched, so no morning arguments about what goes with what) and one pair of Skechers.  Audrey has no clue about brand names (thankfully) but she was thrilled with her skechers because they had sparkly stuff on them.  I think they were her favorite buy.  I was just thrilled that we could agree on some outfits and had not one argument about clothes.   We also, of course, had to buy a couple things for Chloe.  Audrey found a pair of little overalls that matched the skirt she bought so we had to get them so the girls could "match".  I also couldn't resist a cute outfit at the Carter's outlet.  I could literally buy everything in that store, it is all so stinkin' cute.  And Carter got a pair of skechers too since they were buy one, get one 1/2 off. 

Anyhow ... back to Audrey.  With this amount of negotiation over clothes at age 6, I am wondering what a shopping trip will be like in about 5 years!   I was already praying for patience the whole way up 422 ...

4 comments:

Chris Ann Schultz said...

Yes, Children need to be a part of the selection process at ages 3-5. At 4 I had an opinion, probably, since my mom didn't think I did. So, she bought clothes, all dresses and I told her, I wanted to wear clothes, Meaning pants, not dresses. So, that's when it started. I did always enjoy shopping with my mom, but arguements were ever present. Now guess who can be argumentative at our house??? :-) ♥

nateandkatesmom said...

Tell me about it! Kaitlyn loves clothes shopping! And comfort doesn't always come first....for her, it just has to be pretty! And she's already picking out things with Hannah Montana and High School Musical on it. She doesn't even watch that stuff. I don't want her growing up so fast! :-(

Jeanne said...

I'm glad you had a successful shopping trip with Audrey. What are her likes and dislikes now? Did the two of you have fun? Was Chloe along??

Amy said...

Mom, Chloe came and she slept pretty much the ENTIRE time which was great. Audrey likes cotton knit leggings or yoga pants and things that are purple (her new favorite color) and things that are sparkly. No buttons. Basically she wants to be comfortable. At least I still have Chloe to dress (although Audrey attempts to take over that too! but I'm not letting her!)