Wednesday, June 10, 2009

photoless wednesday ...

I've noticed a number of bloggers who have a "wordless wednesday" post - you know, where they just post a picture and nothing else? Well, I really don't have any exciting pictures to share, so I will just be using words today :) Besides, lately our days involve rearranging furniture, running errands, sorting clothes, getting rid of extra "stuff," and kids playing inside (and wishing they were outside). Not really the makings of any beautiful photos.

Our house seems to be one big pile of half-finished projects right now. Not because we really want it that way, but between getting ready for baby, busy weekends, and not getting enough sleep ... well, the progress has been slow.

And I am tired. The reality of carrying around a nearly full-term baby is setting in. Not that I'm complaining - the tiredness and discomfort really last for a short time - but I just am not moving as quickly as I have been. And it is getting harder to keep up with the daily stuff PLUS the other organizing I want to do before the baby arrives.

On Monday I also found out that I have "borderline" gestational diabetes ... basically one of my four blood draws from the extended test came up too high ... so I am having to change my diet for a little while. As I told Chad, I am not allowed to eat all my favorite things! No cake, candy, cookies, and the worst of all? No ice cream. I said to the doctor "You can't take ice cream away from a pregnant lady!" But she did. :) I have to say - I'm not missing stuff like soda, lemonade, candy, etc. but I AM missing my mint chocolate chip. Anyhow, again, a small price to pay for a healthy baby and a healthy me.

All in all, I am just really grateful to be able to have this third baby. Back in the day, after I miscarried the first time, I wondered if I would be able to even have a second child. So this third child is just icing on the cake for us. I am getting excited to see what God has in store for this little one.

And I am additionally really thankful for friends and family who have been more than generous with us - with lending clothing, helping with home improvements, babysitting our kids, buying our kids' bunk beds, sharing their wisdom ... you know who you are. We love you.

"I thank my God every time I remember you." - Philippians 1:3

6 comments:

Melissa Angert {All Things Chic} said...

hang in there!!

Nichole said...

Amy...wow, that post was so "real" and funny too. Pregnancy hormones are fun aren't they?
That part about the doc taking away ice cream was a HOOT! Though, really sorry about that! I will pray for you.

ErinOrtlund said...

Can you have any sugar substitutes?

Amy said...

Erin, The dr. didn't really say, but a friend who is diabetic recommended that I try Breyer's no-sugar-added ice cream. I figure if she can eat it, it's probably okay for me too. Well, at least in small quantities. :) I'm just trying to avoid it all right now - good practice for AFTER the baby when I want to lose the extra pounds!

Unknown said...

I had gestational diabetes and know the diet well. After the initial shock set in of no sweets, I didn't really mind it. Plus, you can have the Carb Smart ice cream if you have only 1 cup of it and you pair it with a protein like an egg or an ounce of cheese. So, you can do ice cream still!

ErinOrtlund said...

Yeah, at this point, probably best to err on the strict side. You really don't have long! So excited for you!