Sunday, February 10, 2013

Valentine's Day in 3rd Grade

Today I had the privilege of attending the 3rd grade Valentine's Day party. 

I LOVE going to kid parties at school.  They are just hilarious and I get to see who Audrey spends time with all day and what her classroom is like.  The kids always make me crack up.  They just say and do the funniest things. 

Today did not disappoint.

At the party we divided the kids into 4 groups and they rotated between stations.  My "job" at the party was to read a book to the kids who came to my station .  So basically I read a book 4 times (to 4 different groups of kids).  I did not bring this book in , another mother did, but basically the plot is this:  a boy has a little crush on a girl in his class, he makes her a valentine, he's too scared to give her the valentine, then he finally has a burst of courage and gives her the valentine after all.

At the end of the party, one of the other moms says to me:  "Audrey is your daughter, right?"

She proceeds to tell me that it seems a boy in her group has a little crush on her.  Apparently after they came to the reading station, they went to the craft station.  Crush boy, apparently inspired by the story and in a burst of courage, announces to his table, "My valentine is sitting at this table...."  There are only 2 girls at the table, and crush boy turns to the one who is not Audrey and whispers in her ear who it is (and it is not the other girl.).

Later I tell Audrey this and she says "I know Mom, I heard it" and rolls her eyes.  I guess she doesn't really reciprocate his affections. Honestly, she thinks boys are kind of gross right now.  Which is just fine with me. :)

Anyhow, I was chatting with some kids at the end of class, and one boy says to me,  "Audrey is a lucky girl, you know."

I said to him "Why is that?".....wondering if this had anything to do with crush boy....

He says, "Well, because you are her mom and you are really nice!  Not everyone has parents that are so nice, you know."

Oh bless his heart, it was so sweet.  I could have hugged that boy right there but I just gave him a big old thank you. :)  

And no, he was NOT crush boy..... unfortunately....because THAT is the kind of boy I would love to have as a son-in-law some day!! haha

No comments: