Wednesday, January 30, 2013

To Carter, my 6 year old boy

Dear Carter,
Today you are 6 years old.  I know I sound like all grown-ups when I say this, but I can't believe you are already six.  It really doesn't seem like all that long ago you were the little guy that I was chasing down the sidewalk, and here you are, counting money and building elaborate cars out of K'nex and losing teeth.  You probably won't read this for a long time....but I write it just to capture a picture of who you are right now.  I don't want to forget this stage of your life, and maybe you will want to remember it someday too. 
You were a very much longed-for baby.  You already know this, but after Audrey was born I had another baby in my tummy that died.  It made me so sad.  I REALLY wanted to have another child right away, but I had to wait for nine long months until God put you in my tummy.  I know that doesn't seem like a super long time, but it felt like an eternity then.  I was so, so happy when I found out you were in there and again when I found out you would be a boy.  And when you were born?  Well, my joy was complete.
I love watching you become who God made you to be.  Even at 6, you have such an amazing mind.  You learned to read when you were four, and you read so well now.  When we read together, I see words that I don't think you would know, but....yup, you know them.  You have a great memory for things that interest you.  You can tell me all kinds of facts about the solar system, you like to study the globe you got for Christmas, and the other day, you quoted to me our neighbor's license plate number.  That shocked me, yet it didn't.  On the other hand, if something doesn't interest you - well, it just doesn't interest you.  Crafts, coloring, etc - yeah, not your thing.  And that's okay.  :)
You live very much in the moment.  This is kind of a blessing and a curse.  I love that you just enjoy what you are doing and get totally wrapped up in what you are working on....however, it is sometimes hard to move you onto the next thing and you don't always think ahead, because you are just thinking about right now.  But when you get soooo focused, I just think -- some day you are going to do or discover something amazing.  Whatever it is that you choose to do with your life... I am sure you will be very good at it.
I also love that - because you live in the moment - you don't worry about what others are thinking of you.  You still flap your arms sometimes.  I thought you would grow out of that a long time ago, but you still sometimes do it, mostly at home.  Sometimes someone will be over and ask you what you are doing, and you just simply say "I'm flapping my arms because I'm excited."  I need to be more like that.  You just enjoy what you are doing unapologetically and don't worry about looking silly.  Just please don't flap your arms at your wedding someday, K?  :)

You have always had a very sweet temperament, and that is still true of you.  You love to give hugs although I will say that you told me early in the school year to "stop kissing you at the bus stop".   :)  But you have always had a gift for encouragement and just naturally will compliment others on what they are doing well.  You also easily give things of your own to others and share easily. This makes my heart so proud.  I know that God will use those qualities to build others up and draw people to Him. 
 On a less "deep" note - lately you have become a better eater.  I sure hope this continues.  You have spent a good part of the past year being picky and refusing to eat much of what I serve for dinner.  Lately we just insist that before you leave the table you at least try bites of what is on your plate.  It seems to have worked because over the past few weeks, you have become increasingly adventurous and willing to try more and more foods.  Wow, this has made dinner time so much more pleasant.  I hope you keep being "brave" and that in life you will be more and more willing to try new things as well.  Your natural tendency is (like mine) to stick with the familiar.  But it is a big world out there full of lots of great things and I hope you have the courage to experience all the good the world has to offer.  (And - I'm a mom so I feel compelled to say this - I hope you have the courage to stay away from all the bad as well!!  Because that is certainly out there too....)
 
Well, I love you very much Carter and I pray for you each day.  I can't wait to see what the next years of your life hold for you and I pray that I will be the kind of Mommy who brings out all the best in you and helps you overcome the difficulties you will face.

God bless you, my sweet boy.
Mommy

1 comment:

ErinOrtlund said...

What a wonderful letter! He sure sounds like a special boy, I wish our sons could be friends.