Monday, February 16, 2009

Carter loves his letters

I hope this doesn't sound like bragging, because I truly don't want it to come across that way. But Carter amazes me sometimes with the things he does, so I want to write it down so I remember it!

Most of you who know Carter know that he has a little obsession with letters and numbers (and ceiling fans, but I digress). He loves to look at them, read letters/numbers off signs and boxes, etc. So yesterday I picked him up from the church nursery, and the nursery worker says "I can't believe it... now he not only identifies the letters, he makes the sounds too!" I said kind of sheepishly "yeah ... he really likes those letters ..." So far I had only heard him make the sounds for his favorite letters (like X, V & Z). I wondered how much he really understood, so today as I was changing his diaper, I said casually, "Carter what sound does B make?" He says "Buh!" Right on. So I said "What sound does C make?" He responded "Ssss"... I didn't say anything and then he corrected HIMSELF and said "ck" instead. That surprised me. I went on with a few other letters and each one was correct (until he got bored with that game...) I honestly don't know where he gets this stuff. He is such a sponge. It must be all those Leap Frog toys...

6 comments:

Jeanne said...

And brilliant genetics! That's our grandson.

nateandkatesmom said...

Wow! I'd say you have the right to brag! He'll be an excellent reader someday...I wouldn't be surprised if he's reading before Kindergarten!

Elmo must be teaching him something!!

Chris Ann Schultz said...

Wow, that's great. Some kids don't get that in Kindergarten. We are happy that Chantel is the top of her class with sounding things out. She wrote 5 sentences for fun, yesterday. She loves words and spelling, and reading. Leap Frog is probably helping, we have the letter sound DVD, that's probably how Chantel learned most of her letters and their sounds. The shows Super Why and Word World are also great with forming words and reading and Chantel loves them too. We are so happy, since I struggled with reading at her same age in 1st grade. Neither of my parents like to read. Chantel's been read to since 2 days old. So, reading, etc. will help. :-) Thanks for sharing the news! He can teach the next one :-)

Unknown said...

Leapfrog's Letter Factory is what did it for Ashlyn. Hooray for Carter! He's a total braniac! :)

Karen said...

I was very impressed yesterday when he was counting the layers of cake. Today numbers and letters. Tomorrow chapter books:)

Anonymous said...

I agree with your mom--he's got some great genes. Weren't you the smarty pants who was reading at 4 years old? :) Also, just had to tell you that Marah used to giggle herself silly over the ceiling fan...like when she was just 3 months old...she loved that thing for quite some time. Perhaps when Carter has a couple more years on him we can get them together to discuss their great love of the ceiling fan. ;)