Monday, December 15, 2008

Smarter than I give him credit for ...


.... Carter, that is, not Chad. (I already know that Chad's smart!)

For the longest time it has been kind of difficult to know what exactly Carter understands and what he doesn't, simply because until recently he didn't say too much verbally. However, Carter has been saying a lot more in the last month or two. Lately Carter has been fascinated by alphabet letters and has been trying his hardest to sing the alphabet song - it moves a little quickly for his little tongue to make all those sounds, but it sure is cute to listen to him try it! So everywhere we go he yells out "X" or "U" or "O" or whatever letter he happens to see. (At this point he can identify most of them!) So today I'm standing in the checkout line waiting for the woman to scan all my groceries. Carter looked up at the number over our line and said "Eight!" Sure enough, it was an "8". I was kind of surprised but thought, 'Hmm, maybe he just knows the number 8 for some reason." Then he looked at the next number over - and I said "7". He looked farther down the rows and yells "6" .... "5" .... then he looked the other direction and said "9". He was right on with each one!

Guess it isn't only the letters he's been studying ... he's been learning those numbers too!

Smart little boy!


7 comments:

Kaylee said...

Crazy what they learn all by themselves! I've noticed with #2, I spent way less time "instructing" and he picked stuff up all by himself...before I knew it!

Chris Ann Schultz said...

Chantel knew the 50 states locations first. She's beginning on many words that she can read on her own now, which is better than I did at her age. I still wasn't reading in 1st grade at her age! Must be all the salmon and shrimp I ate during pregnancy and now! Numbers are still coming along for her, but she can almost count to 100 by 10's and that's a first grade goal.

ErinOrtlund said...

Whoa--that IS impressive! Maybe Carter is a future MENSA member? Way to go indeed!

nateandkatesmom said...

Wow! He's a genius!! He'll be more than ready for preschool when he starts.

Allison said...

What a smart little guy! And the other post with Audrey's nativity recreation in her bedroom is precious--squeeze those kiddos for me!

Allison said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeanne said...

I knew the kid was a genius! It's in the genes. Just look at who his Mom-Mom and Pop-Pop are. Seriously, I'm surprised. The kid is holding out on us!